Welcome to the AFS Estuaries Section website! The Estuaries Section is an interest based sub group of the American Fisheries Society.
The Estuaries Section was established in 1994 as the primary bridge between the AFS and external organizations and individuals involved with estuarine research and management. We are dedicated to protecting, maintaining, and enhancing the viability of the fisheries and other aquatic living resources dependent upon healthy estuaries through the following goals:
– Advance the conservation, development, and wise use of fishery resources for the optimum use and enjoyment by all
– Gather and disseminate information on fisheries science and management through forums and symposia
– Promote and evaluate the educational, scientific, and technical aspects of the fisheries profession
– Serve as a primary resource for developing public policy affecting estuarine fish and fisheries
– Evaluate ongoing and proposed research and monitoring programs that address estuarine fishes in North America
– Support students and develop estuarine fisheries professionals